Ways to avoid malware
- Keep your anti-virus up to date.
- If downloading, click on the correct "Download" button & not an "Advertisement" button
- Don't just click "Next Next Next". STOP!! Read each step of the your download:
- Uncheck any boxes to avoid an unwanted program, tool bar or Home page change
- Look for a ghosted out "Deny" for the same reason
- Look for odd emails from a trusted source. If just one link to click, could be malware
- Look for emails from your bank claiming account suspension for "Suspicious activity"
- Go to your bank website to log in. DO NOT login with the link provided in the email
- Forward any suspicious emails to your bank or other organization
- Don't click on any "updates" like "Java". Update directly on the program's website
- Back up all "Data" on external drive, then remove drive and store in a safe place
Check out some of our previous newsletters below: